The Cracker Line
A Union supply line opened by the Army of the Cumberland and elements of the Army of the Potomac on Oct. 27-29, 1863. Fighting took place at Brown’s Ferry, Tindale’s Hill, Smith’s Hill and at Wauhatchie Junction. After this line was opened, supplies flowed from the Union supply depot at Bridgeport, Alabama by wagon road and the Tennessee River to Chattanooga. “Cracker Line” crossed the Tennessee twice on Union Pontoon Bridges – at Brown’s Ferry and at Chattanooga. Historical markers only.